Among other things, I am responsible there inter alia for law, patents, information technology and the Internet, including new media and telecommunications, all of course primarily from a legislative and regulatory point of view – with a special focus on the European Union.
I have also published a number of books and articles focusing on the history of civilization, a field of inquiry which developed out of my study of legal history, a historical interest which began when Professor Herbert Packer at Stanford Law School, author of The Limits of the Criminal Sanction, a book published by the Stanford University Press (this is NOT a paid ad, thank you),
|The Limits of the Criminal Sanction|
Herbert L. Packer
Buy this book
John’s major contribution to my own intellectual development was his tremendous scepticism of the rationality of mainstream fact-finding and decision-making.
John was of the opinion that many people in positions of responsibility do not do their homework thoroughly or objectively enough and that many of the facts upon which society based its decisions were poorly researched. Hence, the decisions based on such faulty research were often falsely based. Things were not as they seemed.
John urged that one always should go back to original sources first and never make important decisions or conclusions drawn on second-hand knowledge, research or information. He said this applied not only to the law but to all areas of life.
Since those days I have learned to greatly distrust mainstream conclusions, especially in the “soft sciences”, i.e. the humanities, where unfounded theories often run rampant and where probative evidence is often secondary to academic politics and other non-scholarly motivations.
Plus, as became very clear in my work, many academics are failures at research.
One of America’s greatest contributions to the rule of law was the modern adoption of the “best evidence” rule. In ancient times, people could be sent to the gallows on hearsay evidence and on the authority of the accuser, which led to great injustice. Today, the burden of proof is stricter. We go to the best ORIGINAL source. We check and recheck. We ask: “What is really true?”
Many of the humanities, unlike the physical sciences – do not have to prove that their theoretical “motors” actually run (this is also a problem with legal theories – e.g. current drug abuse laws). It is often sufficient if enough prominent names claim that the theories run.
The ill-fated doctrines of Marx and Engels were one example of theoretical blindness to the evidence. Another example is the 40-year mainstream resistance to the decipherment of the Maya hieroglyphs by Knorosow.
Karl Popper and Thomas Kuhn treat false paradigms at length.
Much of mainstream human history is based on myth, unfounded opinion and just plain hearsay. When we look at the testimony of man’s history through the piercing eyes of a cross-examining lawyer, much accepted dogma needs revision. We are still chained by the superstitions and taboos of the witchdoctors of yesteryear.
Take a look at my book, Stars Stones and Scholars and many of my blog postings, which point to hundreds of examples of evidentiary error in the study of the history of civilization. Many of these historical errors are exerting a substantial, negative impact on our modern world.
Online, I am the founder of the Flickr group, Archaeology Travel Photos, which in February 2011 had nearly 1800 members, who have posted more than 28,000 photographs, and I also own and moderate the LexiLine Group on the History of Civilization, the largest of its kind on that subject on the Internet, which currently has more than 500 members, and where I have published a prodigious amount of material, especially in the files.
In addition, I maintain ca. 100 blogs and websites which serve primarily for me as online bookmarkers and notetakers on any subject that I happen to be working on at any time. I use getCITED to keep a personal more-or-less list of updated publications.
Selected Publications of Andis Kaulins (most recent first)
· Merz, Ludwig (chief editor and author); Hill, John M. (author); Kaulins, Andis J.D. (Doctor of Jurisprudence) (author); Werner, Heinz Dr.phil. (author) (2010/2011) Langenscheidt Routledge Fachwörterbuch Wirtschaft, Handel und Finanzen Englisch-Deutsch Deutsch-Englisch (Langenscheidt Routledge Dictionary of Business, Commerce and Finance German-English English-German) 4th edition, 1582 pp. Munich, Germany: Langenscheidt and London, England, United Kingdom: Routledge. This is the world’s leading professional dictionary on this subject for German-English English-German.
· Kaulins, Andis (Italian translation by Mariagrazia Pelaia) (2010) Stelle, Pietre e Scienziati : Antichissimi siti megalitici sembrano forme primordiali di osservazione astronomica, Journal Article in Prometeo : Rivista trimestrale di scienze e storia, Anno 28, Numero 112, Arnoldo Mondadori Editore, Dicembre 2010.
· Kaulins, Andis (2008) The Phaistos Disc: An Ancient Enigma Solved: Two corroborative Old Elamite scripts can be deciphered using the Greek syllabic values obtained for the Phaistos Disc by A. Kaulins in 1980, Conference paper presented October 31, 2008, at the INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE PHAISTOS DISK, Society of Antiquaries, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, England, United Kingdom, as sponsored by Minerva magazine. The paper is found online at http://ancientworldblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/phaistos-disc-ancient-enigma-solved-two.html while the PPT Power Point Presentation is found online at http://phaistosdisc.blogspot.com/2010/01/phaistos-disc-two-corroborative-old.html & http://minoanculture.blogspot.com/2009/05/posting-on-decipherment-of-phaistos.html
· Kaulins, Andis (2008) Der Osnabrücker Bodenhimmel [The Hermetic Planisphere at Osnabrück] Forschungskreis Externsteine e.V., Conference paper presented at the 42nd Jahrestagung des Forschungskreises Externsteine e.V., May 1, 2008, subsequently published in Gustav Friedrichs, Andis Kaulins and Gert Meier, Osnabrück und die Externsteine in der Frühgeschichte, Heft 1 der Weißen Reihe des Forschungskreises, ISBN-Nr. 978-3-00-024294-11-6, which can be ordered in German only from the Forschungskreis Externsteine e.V., Postfach 1155, 32792 Horn-Bad Meinberg, Germany. The article is online at http://www.megaliths.net/DerOsnabrueckerBodenhimmel.doc
· Kaulins, Andis (2007) Writing as LawPundit, Justices Opinions Law Clerks Chess and Appellate Delay in BlawgWorld 2007 with TechnoLawyer Problem/Solution Guide, a TechnoLawyer eBook
· Kaulins, Andis (2007) Stonehenge and its Barrows: Text Scan, Editing and Conversion (not yet completed) Journal Article in Megalithic Wiki
· Kaulins, Andis (2007) Das Tanum System - ein alteuropäisches Vermessungssystem ? [The Tanum System: Ancient Seafarers as Megalithic Surveyors of Europe and Africa] Forschungskreis Externsteine e.V., Conference paper presented at the 41st Jahrestagung des Arbeitskreises Walther Machalett, May 17, 2007. The paper is found online at http://www.megaliths.net/Das Tanum System von Andis Kaulins 19 Juni 2007.pdf
· Merz, Ludwig (chief editor and author); Hill, John M. (author); Kaulins, Andis (author); Werner, Heinz Dr.rer.pol. (author). (2007) Langenscheidt Routledge Fachwörterbuch Wirtschaft, Handel und Finanzen Englisch-Deutsch Deutsch-Englisch (The Langenscheidt Routledge Dictionary of Business, Commerce and Finance English-German German-English). 3rd edition, 1440 pp. Langenscheidt Fachverlag, Langenscheidt Fachwörterbücher: Munich, Germany and Routledge Bilingual Specialist Dictionaries: London, United Kingdom. This is the world’s leading professional dictionary on this subject for German-English English-German.
· Kaulins, Andis (2006). Writing as LawPundit, Microsoft Eolas Patent Case Remanded for New Trial in BlawgWorld 2006: Capital of Big Ideas, a TechnoLawyer eBook.
· Kaulins, Andis (2006) Der Bodenhimmel der Oesterholzer Mark um die Spitze der "Externsteinpyramide" [A Megalithic Sky Map at Oesterholz], Forschungskreis Externsteine e.V., Journal Article in Efodon Synesis, Nr. 76, 4/2006. Article online at http://www.efodon.de/. Subsequently published in the CD-ROM: Das Heinecke-System. Frühgeschichtliche Externsteiner Visurlinie, 40. Arbeitstagung Walther Machalett e.V. (Günter Heinecke, Dr. Andis Kaulins, Max Seurig, Dr. Gert Meier). The CD-ROM can be ordered from Forschungskreis Externsteine e. V. Postfach 1155, 32792 Horn/Bad Meinberg, Germany (German language only).
· Kaulins, Andis (2006) Stars Stones and Scholars : The Decipherment of the Megaliths as an Ancient Survey of the Earth by Astronomy. 1st edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Trafford Publishing. (Book, hardcover).
· Kaulins, Andis (Conference presentation made by Professor Wolfram Zarnack). (2006) Neue Deutung der Externsteine durch Andis Kaulins Conference Paper in Proceedings : Ur-Europa-Jahrbuch 2006: Vorträge der öffentlichen Tagung, Horn-Holzhausen, Herbst 2005, currently but not always found online at http://www.abebooks.de/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=988143983
· Kaulins, Andis (2005) The Origin of the Cult of Horus in Predynastic Egypt (Journal article in the author’s own English translation from the German). Online at the Ancient Egypt Weblog, starting at http://ancientegyptweblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/origin-of-cult-of-horus-page-1.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (2005) Zum Ursprung des Horus-Glaubens im vordynastischen Ägypten [The Origin of the Cult of Horus in Predynastic Egypt], Forschungskreis Externsteine e.V., Journal Article in Efodon Synesis, Issue 5, Sept./Okt. 2005, Vol. 12, Nr. 71, pp. 19-31, found online at http://www.efodon.de/html/archiv/vorgeschichte/kaulins/horusursprung.pdf
Kaulins, Andis (2005) Die Himmelsscheibe von Nebra: Beweisführung und Deutung Journal Article in Efodon Synesis. This article can be found online at the Ancient World Blog: http://ancientworldblog.blogspot.com/2005/07/die-himmelsscheibe-von-nebra.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (2005) Sternensteine - Darstellungen frühgeschichtlicher Astronomie am Beispiel der Externsteine [Star Stones - Prehistoric Astronomy on the Example of the Extern Stones] (Conference Presentation May 6-7, 2005, Horn/Externsteine, 39. Arbeitstagung des Arbeits und Forschungskreises Walther Machalett für Vor und Frühgeschichte e.V.). Online at http://www.megaliths.net/DieExternsteineKaulins.pdf, subsequently published in a CD-ROM of the Proceedings : Frühgeschichtliche Astronomie in Norddeutschland (Dr. Andis Kaulins, Dr. Christina Linger/Kai-Uwe Uebner und Dr. Gert Meier) and in a Special Issue of Rückschau 2005 zur 39. Arbeitstagung. The CD-ROM can be ordered from Forschungskreis Externsteine e. V., Postfach 1155, 32792 Horn/Bad Meinberg, Germany (German language only)
· Kaulins, Andis (2003) Stars Stones and Scholars : The Decipherment of the Megaliths as an Ancient Survey of the Earth by Astronomy. 1st edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Trafford Publishing. (Book, softcover).
· Merz, Ludwig (chief editor and author); Hill, John M. (author); Kaulins, Andis (author); Werner, Heinz Dr.rer.pol. (author). (2002) Langenscheidt Routledge Fachwörterbuch: Wirtschaft, Handel und Finanzen: Englisch-Deutsch Deutsch-Englisch (The Langenscheidt Routledge Dictionary of Business, Commerce and Finance English-German German-English). 2nd edition, 1236 pp. Munich and London: Langenscheidt in Germany and Routledge in the United Kingdom. (Langenscheidt published the hardcover book in the series Langenscheidt Fachwöreterbücher and as a CD-ROM in the series Langenscheidt e-Wörterbücher. Routledge published the hardcover book in the series Routledge Bilingual Specialist Dictionaries.)
· Kaulins, Andis (1999) The Norse Pharaohs. 1st edition. Traben-Trarbach, Germany: Isandis Industries International Inc., Lincoln, Nebraska, USA (Book, Vol. 9 in the series Origins : Studies in the History of Mankind and its Languages, ed. Andis Kaulins). The book was also published in digital form as The Norse Pharaohs CD-ROM. See http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/norsepharaohs/norsepharaohs.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (1998) Waren die Pharaonen Legastheniker? (Journal Article, Dyslexia Journal, Nr. 3, Winter, 1998/1999, pp. 8-11). The article is online at AndisKaulins.com at http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/dyslexia/dyslexia.htm.
· Kaulins, Andis (1994) Kings and Dynasties: The Dynasties of Man from the Days of Adam to the Reigns of the Pharoahs according to the Wheel of Heaven 1st edition. Göttingen, Germany: Isandis Industries International Inc., Lincoln, Nebraska, USA (Book, Vol. 5 in the series Origins : Studies in the History of Mankind and its Languages, ed. Andis Kaulins). The astronomical principle of rising and setting stars used in the book to calculate Biblical lifetimes of the Patriarchs as a stellar calculation is still regarded as correct by this author, but the latitude used for calculations must be amended, which changes the results, so that this book currently has only archival value.
· Kaulins, Andis (1994) Infinity One : A Minoan Computer Adventure (A PC Adventure first written in Atari STOS and converted to the PC in Visual Basic for Microsoft Windows™, ca. 10 megabytes). 1st edition. Göttingen, Germany: Isandis Industries International Inc., Lincoln, Nebraska, USA (PC Computer Game). (Infinity One was reviewed by Günter Haupt in Windows aktuell April/Mai Ausgabe 4/5, 1995) see http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/infinityone/infinityonereview.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (1981) An Astrological Zodiac in the Script of Easter Island. 1st edition. Darmstadt, Germany: Andis Kaulins. (Book, Vol. 4 in the series Origins : Studies in the History of Mankind and its Languages, ed. Andis Kaulins). Online at http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/easterisland/easter.htm
· Kaulins, Andis and Breidaks, A.. (1980) The Relation of the Baltic Languages to Illyrian. 1st edition. Darmstadt, Germany: Andis Kaulins. (Book, Vol. 3 in the series Origins Studies in the History of Mankind and its Languages, ed. Andis Kaulins). Online at http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/illyrians/illyrians.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (1980) The Etruscan Bronze Liver of Piacenza: An Ancient Starfinder and Calendar. 1st edition. Darmstadt, Germany: Andis Kaulins. (Book, Vol. 2 in the series Origins : Studies in the History of Mankind and its Languages, ed. Andis Kaulins) Online at http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/etruscans/etruscans.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (1980) The Phaistos Disc: Hieroglyphic Greek with Euclidean Dimensions : The "Lost Proof" of Parallel Lines. 1st edition. Darmstadt, Germany: Andis Kaulins. (Book, Vol. 1 in the series Origins Studies in the History of Mankind and its Languages, ed. Andis Kaulins) Online at http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/phaistos/phaistos.htm
· Kaulins, Andis and Kim, Kie-Taek, editors (1979) The foreign policies and foreign trade of the German Democratic Republic and the Korean Democratic People's Republic: Die Aussenpolitik und der Aussenhandel der DDR und der KDVR. 1st edition. Kiel, Germany: German Korea Studies Group, Kim, Youn-Soo (Book, Conference Proceedings). Recommended by Prof. Rüdiger Frank - Berlin for the study of dividied nations, see http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/dividednations/dividednations.htm
· Kaulins, Andis (1977) The Baltic: Origin of the Indo-European Languages and Peoples : An Inquiry into the History of Mankind and its Languages 1st edition. Kiel, Germany: Andis Kaulins (Book, self-published, samizdat viz. Selbstverlag). See http://www.andiskaulins.com/publications/balticorigins/balticorigins.htm
· Loeber, Dietrich Andre and Kaulins, Andis (1976) Baltic Law and Culture in the Mirror of the Latvian Supreme Court Decisions 1918-1940 (Conference paper presented at the Fifth Conference on Baltic Studies, Columbia University). See Abstract.